Jel Sert is proud to partner with TerraCycle® to offer our first-ever Freezer Pop plastic recycling program. This program is currently available for our Powerade® Sports Freezer Bars’ plastic tube and allows consumers to recycle plastic that normally is not able to be recycled!
Here is how it works
Click on the link below to easily register for the Powerade® Sports Freezer Bar x TerraCycle recycling program. It is a quick and easy process!
Gather all of your Powerade® Sports Freezer Bar plastic tubes and place them in a collection bin or shipping envelope.
When the bin or shipping envelope is full, download and print a free shipping label from your account and place the label on your package. Ship to TerraCycle at no cost.
Earn points with TerraCycle for each shipment you send. Use points to donate to any charity or nonprofit of your choosing
What is TerraCycle
TerraCycle offers consumers a way to recycle products that are not typically accepted as part of curbside recycling programs. Jel Sert is thrilled to work with TerraCycle on this program with Powerade® Sports Freezer Bars and create something new and different from our plastic tubes.
Can I recycle any Jel Sert Products?
Not yet! Currently, TerraCycle only accepts our Powerade® Sports Freezer Bar wrappers.
Can I recycle Freezer Pop Boxes or any Jel Sert Packaging through TerraCycle?
TerraCycle only accepts products that are not accepted curbside. You can only recycle our Powerade® Sports Freezer Bar wrappers through TerraCycle right now!
What happens to the waste?
The packaging is first separated into flexible plastics and rigid plastics because each type of plastic requires different processing equipment. The material is then shredded or ground, and it undergoes a melting process to become usable raw material for new products, ranging from outdoor furniture to storage totes.
Do the plastic tubes have to be fully cleaned before sending to TerraCycle?
You don’t need to fully clean packaging before sending it in, but please remove as much residue and unfrozen liquid as possible. Dripping packages will not be accepted via mail services.
Does my shipment have to weigh a certain amount before I can send it in?
No, your shipment can be any size. Just keep in mind that larger shipments are usually more eco-friendly and reduce the environmental impact even further.
The Jel Sert Company has a deep appreciation for our community and those we serve. We understand that in order for both to thrive, our world must, too. That’s why our team is focused on developing business practices that actively reduce waste and energy consumption, allowing us to reuse existing resources and recycle materials wherever and whenever we can.
THE JEL SERT COMPANY’S ENVIRONMENTAL SUSTAINABILITY EFFORTS INCLUDE:
- Optimizing routing of shipments to customers by using a Transportation Management System (TMS) to minimize miles and fuel utilized
- Shipping intermodal (train on truck) to further destinations, resulting in a significantly improved fuel cost per mile for each shipment versus over the road
- Sourcing locally as much as possible to reduce fuel usage for inbound materials
- Using folding cartons for packaged products that are made with CCNB / 100% recycled board
- Approximately 60% of Jel Sert corrugated usage is made with 100% post-consumer content recycled paper. The remainder has a recycled content of at least 35%.
- Challenging ingredient shipments to see if they can be made of less materials and/or be more recyclable. For example – we now use re-usable containers for our inbound juice concentrates which removes 500+ wood containers from landfills each year
- Seeking out opportunities to reduce packaging material in our products while maintaining their structural and food safety capabilities. For example – we changed our desserts business from using corrugated shipping cases to chipboard substrate, reducing 10-15% of packaging weight
- Working diligently on becoming a zero landfill facility
- Implementing many projects to reduce usage of electricity, water or natural gas in both plant and office spaces – energy efficient lighting, sleep-mode computers and other devices, energy efficient motors and drives, replacing old water-cooled pumps, etc.
- Maximizing the efficiency of key equipment such as boilers and compressors to minimize energy usage
- Reducing wasted energy in battery charging by installing quick charge / on demand forklift charges for portions of our facility
- Installing lighting at all facilities that is both high efficient fluorescent and utilizes motion sensors wherever feasible. We are monitoring the progress of LED lighting technology and experimenting with its use to further reduce energy usage
- Creating a corporate Environmental improvement team with a cross section of employees to reduce our waste stream both in our factory and corporate offices
- Jel Sert utilizes CHEP pallets for the vast majority of our wood pallet requirements. Unlike traditional wood pallets that have a short life span, CHEP pallets are engineered to be used hundreds of times on a shared platform. This significantly contributes to environmental sustainability as there is significantly less need for new timber and deforestation.