Ready in: 150
Approximately 6 half pint jars
lbs. (about 2 quarts)
Royal® Premium Fruit Pectin
Unsalted Butter (optional)
- Prepare water bath canner, jars and lids per manufacturer's instructions or USDA guidelines (http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/.) Measure 5 cups of sugar and set aside. Wash and prepare cherries removing pits and discarding stems. Finely chop or process through a food processor or pulse in a blender to chop, then mash lightly in a bowl with a potato masher.
- Measure 4 cups of cherry mash into a 6-8 quart stainless steel or enameled pot. Add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice if using sweet cherries and the contents of 1 box of Royal® Premium Fruit Pectin stirring constantly. Turn on heat to high and stir constantly to avoid scorching. Optionally, 1/2 tablespoon of unsalted butter may be used to reduce foaming.
- Bring to a rolling boil (a boil that does not stop bubbling when stirred.) Stir in 5 cups of sugar, adding all at once. Return to a full rolling boil stirring constantly and boil for 1 minute. Turn off and remove from heat.
- Skim off any surface foam. Optionally, foam may be reserved in a clean glass or jar and stored in the refrigerator; the bubbles will breakdown to provide fresh usable jelly.
- Ladle into hot jars. Wipe rim and threads. Place and center lid and screw on metal band (hand-tighten, firmly.) Process in a water bath canner for 5 minutes (please refer to USDA guidelines (http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/.)) Remove jars and place on towel to cool. You should hear a popping sound as the jars cool. Once cool, check jars for proper seal by pushing in the center of the lid. If the lid springs back, the jar did not seal properly and will need to be refrigerated.
- Note: It is recommended to finely chop and mash to avoid skins and large chuncks of fruit rising to the top of the jars after filling.