BLACKBERRY, OTHER BERRY OR MIXED BERRY JAM
Ready in: 150
Approximately 9 - 1/2 pint jars
to 5 pts
Royal® Premium Fruit Pectin
Unsalted Butter (optional)
- Prepare water bath canner, jars and lids per manufacturer's instructions or USDA guidelines (http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/.) Measure 7 cups of sugar and set aside. Wash and prepare berries removing and discarding stems, damaged or moldy berries. Crush berries in a stainless steel or glass bowl, a single layer at a time, with a potato masher or drinking glass. Optionally, the berries can be processed through a food mill using a berry screen or the mash can be pushed through a strainer if seedless is desired (or process half if seed reduction is desired.)
- Measure 5 cups of mashed berries into a 6-8 quart stainless steel or enameled pot. Add the contents of 1 box of Royal® Premium Fruit Pectin and stir until dissolved. Turn on heat to high and stir constantly to avoid scorching. Optionally, 1/2 tablespoon of unsalted butter may be used to reduce foaming. Bring to a rolling boil (a boil that does not stop bubbling when stirred.) Stir in 7 cups of sugar, adding all at once. Return to a full rolling boil stirring constantly and boil for 1 minute. Turn off and remove from heat.
- Skim off any surface foam. Optionally, foam may be reserved in a clean glass or jar and stored in refrigerator; the bubbles will breakdown to provide fresh usable jelly.
- Ladle into hot jars. Wipe rim and threads. Place and center lid and screw on metal band (hand tighten - firmly.) Process in a water bath canner for 5 minutes (please refer to USDA guidelines (http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/.))
- Remove jars and place on towel to cool. You should hear a popping sound as the jars cool. Once cool check jars for proper seal by pushing in the center of the lid. If the lid springs back the jar did not seal properly and will need to be refrigerated.